HIPPOCRAS CHRISTMAS PUDDING JELLY
1 x pack of B&F Hippocras Christmas Pudding Jelly Cubes
Special ingredients: Fruit Medley (dried fruit)
Mould: B&F Christmas Pudding Mould
1. Wash and dry the mould.
2. Pour the Fruit Medley into the mould. If feeling traditional add a clean silver coin, ring and thimble too.
3. Place three Hippocras jelly cubes into a microwavable measuring jug. Microwave on full power for 15 seconds, or until melted.
4. Pour the jelly mixture over the dried fruit. Place the jelly on a tray and refrigerate until just set (two - three hours).
1. Place three Hippocras cubes into a microwavable measuring jug. Microwave on full power for 15 seconds,or until melted.
2. Top up the measuring jug with cold water up to the 300ml mark. Stir well to thoroughly combine. Scoop off any bubbles with a teaspoon.
3. Pour the jelly mixture over the set fruit jelly layer. Place in the refrigerator and allow to set for a further three hours or ideally overnight.
1. Unmould the jelly onto a serving plate (see instruction below).
2. Top with a large scoop of ice cream, brandy Chantilly cream or pouring cream.
TOPS TIPS FOR SUCCESSFUL JELLYING
What to do if you don’t have a microwave
Place the jelly cubes in a metal or heat-proof glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the melted jelly cubes to the measuring jug (making sure not to leave any behind) before continuing with the recipe.
What fruit can I add?
You can add almost anything but don’t add pineapple, kiwi or melon or your jelly won’t set.
Can I add alcohol?
Yes, but don’t replace more than 25% of the water with hard spirits as too high ABV will prevent the jelly setting.
Unmoulding the jelly
To unmould from a Benham & Froud plastic jelly mould first fill a bowl with hot water (about 60 degrees).Holding the mould at the edges dip the mould into the water for about 5 seconds. Ensure that you put the mould in right up to the rim.
Place an upside down plate over the mould, turn the mould and plate over whilst giving it a firm shake. The jelly should drop out. If not dip again for a few more seconds.
Wetting the plate you are unmoulding onto first is a good idea: it allows you to reposition the jelly.
Cleaning the mould
Benham & Froud plastic moulds should be hand washed and left to air dry. Putting the mould through a dishwasher cycle will make it deform.